Collaboration and Communication in Healthcare: Interprofessional Practice
持续时间: 5 weeks
Explore 1600+ online courses from top universities. Join Coursera today to learn data science, programming, business strategy, and more.
collaborative practice is essential to the provision of safe, high quality
patient-centered care. This course will introduce health professions learners to
the concept of interprofessional collaborative practice and the evidence base
that supports its effectiveness. In order for learners to better understand the
professionals with whom they will collaborate, specific modules will focus on
the roles of various healthcare professionals, their scope of practice, and
settings in which they work. Additional modules will focus on communication strategies
and tools for effective interprofessional collaborative practice and learners
will practice to gain competence in interprofessional communication, conflict management
and negotiation. Finally, the course will introduce the concepts of leadership
and membership and explore leadership and membership strategies to promote
effective interprofessional teamwork.
Week 1 - What is it all about? Introducing
core interprofessional concepts
- Define interprofessional education (IPE) and
interprofessional collaborative practice.
- Discuss the evidence regarding benefits of
interprofessional collaborative practice, including the impact on quality
and safety of patient care.
- Compare and contrast different forms of
- Discuss factors that influence interprofessional
- Describe key elements of effective interprofessional team-based
- Identify barriers to interprofessional collaborative practice.
Week 2 - Who is
on my team? Understanding roles, responsibilities and abilities of different
- Describe the roles, responsibilities and abilities of various
health care professions involved in collaborative work, including their
training and scopes of practice.
- Describe one’s own professional role in relation to
collaborating with other professionals.
- Describe the process by which the scope of practice for
a healthcare professional is determined.
- Discuss and describe the role of patients, their
families and community representatives as integral partners in the
collaborative care delivery process.
- Assess how different clinical settings might affect
roles and responsibilities of health professionals.
Week 3 - How will
our work get done? Understanding communication, accountability and task
- List the benefits of collaborative practice to your
- Describe the importance of communication for effective
- Name essential elements of effective communication.
- Demonstrate use of strategies and tools that facilitate
effective communication and collaboration.
- Identify ways to distribute and follow-up on tasks among
interprofessional health care providers.
Week 4 – How to
tackle challenges: Conflict management and negotiation
- Describe the sources of conflict in the
- Describe two main types of conflict and how
they are interrelated as well as impact team functioning.
- Compare and contrast different styles of managing
- Describe one’s own conflict management
- Demonstrate a three-step approach to
- Describe communication strategies helpful
in the management of conflict.
Week 5 – How can
we work together? Leadership and Membership
- Define clinical leadership.
- Discuss leadership functions that
facilitate team-based health care.
- Describe the concepts and importance of
psychological safety and leader inclusiveness.
- Analyze one’s own strengths, areas for
development, and leadership style.
- Define team membership styles and their impact.
- Demonstrate use of strategies and tools
for effective healthcare team leadership and membership.
Interprofessional collaborative practice is key to safe, high quality, accessible, patient-centered care. This course aims to introduce health professions learners to the fundamental principles and skills for effective interprofessional collaborative practice.